The Yoga Room
The theory behind The Yoga Room brand.
According to Geometry, the Pentagon is the last of the solid forms for one simple reason, it is the last form you can make out of the other shapes that fits together perfectly. This helps supports the ethos of “Come as you are” - all shapes, sizes, ages and gender are supported and welcome.
The number 5
The number 5 has always been regarded as mystical and magical, yet essentially ‘human’. We have five fingers/toes on each limb extremity. We commonly note five senses – sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste.
Don't just take our word... Read what some of our clients have to say about us here.
Owner, The Yoga Room, Edinburgh
My journey towards becoming a yoga teacher started in 1994, with gentle hatha yoga and meditation. From then I practiced a variety of yoga and movement styles, and stumbled upon Ashtanga yoga in 2003.
I credit a variety of great teachers who have influenced both my personal practice and my teaching. Firstly, Rowena Morris, Authorised Ashtanga teacher and previous owner of the Edinburgh Yoga Room, for giving me the opportunity to mentor her and teach at the studio. Krista Shirley, second series authorised Ashtanga yoga teacher, who has deepened my understanding of the asana practice. Lastly, my current teacher, Stephanie Snyder, based in San Francisco, who encourages me to find my own voice and share the rich yoga philosophy that inspires and supports my practice on and off the mat on a daily basis.
I am also a Yoga therapist. Yoga therapy adapts the practice, principles, and techniques of Yoga to the needs of people with specific or persistent health problems, which fits very well with my history of working in hospitals for years an as Occupational Therapist. Thus influencing my teaching style allowing me to seamlessly modify students practice within a group setting to fit their specific needs, keeping them safe and included within a class setting.
I studied at Colorado State University, and worked in hospital based settings from 1998 - 2011. My education included a comprehensive study of anatomy including gross anatomy and neuro-anatomy, physiology, pathology, and kinesiology.
As they say, ‘you teach what you need to learn yourself’. Discipline, patience, acceptance and love for self and others.’
BOOK CLASSES HERE
- 200 hour - Stephanie Snyder, Vinyasa Flow, San Francisco - 2015
- 300 hour (qualifying with 500 hours RYT) - Yoga Therapy qualification, Santa Rosa California - 2014
- Yoga therapy for: cardiac & stroke, addiction, asthma and allergies, metabolic syndrome, obesity, diabetes, and grief.
- Yoga Nidra/iRest - taught by Richard Miller the founder of iRest,
- Yoga for cancer - taught by Jnani Chapman, yoga therapy specialist in cancer
- Structural yoga - taught by Shar Lee, a RYT 500, specialist in structural yoga
- 200 hour - It's Yoga San Francisco - 2011 Ashtanga Yoga and the Rocket power vinyasa sequence
- 50 hour - It's Yoga San Francisco - 2014 Rocket Viyasa Flow Training
- Massage Therapy - East West College of the Healing Arts, Portland Oregon - 2001
- Relevant courses: anatomy & physiology, human disease, Swedish massage, deep tissue massage, acupressure (Tui Na), sports injuries.
- Certificate in hot stone massage - UK 2010
- Certificate in chavuitti thermal (Indian rope massage) - UK 2010
- Certificate in pregnancy massage - UK 2011
- Bachelor's of Science Degree in Occupational Therapy - Colorado State University- graduated 1997
- Relevant courses: gross anatomy, anatomy & physiolog, neuro-anatomy, human disease, human development, psychology & abnormal psychology, various rehabilitation trainings, assessment skills and treatment skills for adults and children with various developmental disabilities, physical and emotional trauma, addiction, neurological disorders, head injuries, stroke, elective surgery, hand therapy and out patients, various medical diagnosis, and work station ergonomic assessment/return to work.